There are many ways Iowa family physicians may be called on to support our patients and the public in the midst of the pandemic crisis. Information is overwhelming, coming from multiple sources, and seems to be ever changing. We at the IAFP want to be responsive to the needs of our membership but not just part of the information overload. I practice palliative medicine and have access to resources for conversations and symptom management at end of life for patients with Covid-19. See the links below for some specific topics of interest. Please reach out to me personally at the email address below if I can provide assistance or answer any questions.
Sincerely, Jim Bell, MD
IAFP Board Chair
- Communication guide for complex issues: Vital Talk is a group of communication specialists – can share with office staff, especially phone staff and nursing team- https://www.vitaltalk.org/guides/covid-19-communication-skills/
- Symptom management guide comes from the center to advance palliative care.
- Shared Decision Making tool (Planning with high risk patients and may guide serious ill to choose home care option if preferred) https://www.nhpco.org/wp-content/uploads/COVID-19-Shared-Decision-Making-Tool.pdf
- ICU shared decision making guide for a patient considering life support (help discussion of hospitalized patient pre ICU) https://patientdecisionaid.org/covid19/
- Covid Advance care planning that office team can share with patients for self completion: https://prepareforyourcare.org/covid-19
- Adv Care Planning Guide for use with high risk patients for clinician: Brief COVID Goals of Care Guide for Outpatients at High Risk, adapted by SFVA Palliative Care